We want to make monthly tire safety checks the norm. Tires are the only thing connecting your car to the road, and regular safety checks can help you make sure they’re in peak working condition. Why stress? Learn the 3 Basic Steps of Tire Safety and Tread Wisely!
Tread Wisely is a program of the Cooper Tire & Rubber Foundation and the National Organizations for Youth Safety (NOYS).
It’s recommended that you do a safety check on your tires every thirty days and before a long road trip. The Tread Wisely Challenge is designed to educate, empower, and mobilize teens and young adults to adopt this practice. You must register for the challenge at least ten business days prior to your kick-off event to be eligible for prizes.
- Kick-Off Event: A student leader introduces the Tread Wisely program, hands out tire safety kits and tire safety check forms, then plays the three tire safety instructional videos. The student leader tells all participants to download and register the Tread Wisely app so they have easy access to the instructional videos they watched at the event, as well as access to the app’s special features. Finally, the student leader demonstrates how to correctly fill out the tire safety check forms, where to return them at the school or event site, and the deadline for submitting completed forms (usually 1-5 days after the kick-off).
- Tire Safety Checks: All participants who attended the kick-off event are now equipped and ready to conduct monthly tire safety checks! Each participant will take the tire safety kit and check form(s) distributed at the kick-off and complete at least one tire safety check form. They will then return their completed form(s) to the school or event site by the specified deadline. For every fully completed tire safety check form, students will be entered to win an individual prize such as gift cards, event tickets, and Tread Wisely swag. Students get to keep their tire safety kits so they can easily continue their tire safety checks each month!
- Final Report Submitted with completed Tire Safety Check forms: The Student Leader will submit the event Final Report at NOYS.org no later than 11:59pm EST on December 31, 2017 to be eligible for prizes. The Final Report includes 1) photos or scans of all completed tire safety check forms; 2) a group photo with the Tread Wisely pledge banner; 3) the date and time of the kick-off event; 4) the total number of students who participated in the kick-off event; 5) the total number of completed tire safety check forms; 6) a summary of the event; 7) verification by an adult advisor, teacher, principal or dean. Every school or student group who successfully completes the challenge and submits their final report by 11:59pm EST on December 31, 2017 will be eligible to win one of fifty $500 cash prizes. Winners will be randomly selected. Awards will be announced in February 2018. Cash prizes can only be awarded to schools or student groups; cash prizes cannot be awarded to individuals.
A minimum of ten people must participate in the full challenge for a school or student group to be eligible for the cash prizes.
You must register for the Tread Wisely Challenge at least ten business days prior to your kick-off event to be eligible for prizes.
Tire safety checks include checking 1) The overall condition of the tires; 2) Air pressure; and 3) Tread depth. Take a minute to visit TreadWisely.org and learn each of these steps. You can watch (short!) instructional videos, and there’s a written summary as well. During your kick-off event, you’ll play all three videos so your audience learns how to do each step. But you’ll want to become an expert yourself, just in case you get any questions. So watch the videos a few times, then go out and check the tires on your car to make sure you’ve got the hang of it.
After submitting the registration form, the Student Leader in charge of hosting the challenge will receive a Tread Wisely Event Tool Kit. The Event Tool Kit includes everything you need for your kick-off, including 1) Talking points on the Tread Wisely program; 2) Links to the tire safety Instructional Videos; 3) Instructions for downloading and getting the most out of the Tread Wisely app; 4) A Tread Wisely pledge banner; 5) Tire Safety Kits; and 6) Tire Safety Check forms.
You must register a minimum of ten business days prior to your kick-off event to be eligible for prizes. The Tread Wisely Challenge runs from August 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017, and you can select the date of your kick-off event and register now! Prize winners will be randomly selected and notified of their selection in February 2018.
Submit the Final Report
- Tread Wisely Challenge Final Report
- Tread Wisely Challenge Implementation Guide
- Tread Wisely Tire Safety Maintenance Check Form
- Tread Wisely Challenge School or Event Site Participation Agreement
- Tread Wisely Challenge Official Rules: Schools, Clubs & Organizations
- Tread Wisely Challenge Rules for Students