- After marijuana and alcohol, prescription drugs are the most commonly abused substances by Americans age 14 and older.
- In 2015, 18.3% of 12th graders used a prescription drug.
- Prescription drugs that affect the brain, including opioid pain relievers, stimulants, and depressants, can cause physical despondence that can lead to addiction.
- One in four teens have misused/abused prescription drugs at least once in their lifetime.
- Prescription painkiller abuse is declining among middle and high school students.