- Drowning is the third leasing cause of injury-related death in youth 19 and under.
- In a survey of more than 1,000 adults, nearly half said they have had a drowning scare in their lifetime. Two-thirds say the event occurred between ages 5-15.
- A disproportionate number of drowning deaths among individuals under age 29 occur to youth from racial/ethnic minority groups.
- CPS performed by bystanders has been shown to save lives and improve outcomes in drowning victims. The more quickly CPR is started, the better the chance of improved outcomes.
- Half of all boating deaths might be prevented with the use of life jackets.