- After marijuana and alcohol, prescription drugs are the most commonly abused substancesby Americans age 14 and older
- In 2015, 18.3% of 12th graders used a prescription drug.
- Prescription drugs that affect the brain, including opioid pain relievers, stimulants, and depressants, can cause physical dependence that can lead to addiction.
- The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids recently created a survey concluding that one in four teens have misused/abused prescription drugs at least once in their lifetime.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) finds declining prescription painkiller abuse among middle and high school students.
- National Drug & Alcohol Facts Week is hosted annually to engage teens across the country in busting myths and creating an open dialogue about alcohol and drug use.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teachers provides lessons on teaching about prescription drug misuse.