- Inhalants are often among the first drugs young adolescents use. They are one of the few classes of drugs that are used more by younger teens than older teens.
- A declining number of teens perceive a risk of harm or disapproval in using inhalants.
- Nearly 21.7 million Americans aged 12 and older have used inhalants at least once in their lives.
- The annual Monitoring the Future survey from National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) documents teen substance use trends by age and drug, including inhalants.
- The Alliance for Consumer Education’s Inhalant Abuse Prevention site offers resources for parents and teens, including an Inhalant Abuse Prevention Kit, message boards, and lesson plans.